Saturday, September 25, 2010

豬血糕很好吃。

Okay, so I haven't updated since Tuesday but I've been busy! Lots of stuff going down and I will share that all now. :D

However, first things first, I will speak of the gloriousness that is zhuxuegao. Directly translated, pig's blood cake. It's not really a cake.. What it is is glutinous rice boiled with pig's blood, hardened 'till the have a somewhat pudding like consistency, then cut into rectangles.

Now, this is delicious by itself, and you can buy it just like this or grilled with some different sorts of barbecue sauce on it. The best way to get it, in my opinion, is at the vendors who only sell this and nothing else. Here, they dip it in a sauce that I believe is a pork's broth of some kind, then they dip it in peanut powder. So, you bite in, tastes like peanuts.. awesome, then it tastes like zhuxuegao which is awesome as well.

Don't even go, 'ewwww, but Isabel, it's made out of blood!' because if you eat pig's meat, that's technically the same as eating it's blood. The meat marinates in that. x) It's seriously so good and my friend Tina tells me you can get it in San Diego so I'm really happy!

Okay, what next. Oh, yeah, the Thai horror movie. That was weird. I went and saw it with some classmates and another exchange student, Sammy. He's better at reading characters than I am so we just sort of sat there and tried to understand it. I think we got maybe half. Afterwards Sammy and I raided some grocery stores and then went home.

English subs trailer:

Thursday was nothing special. The only thing worth pointing out is that we went to a Mexican restaurant! Well, as Mexican as you can get in Taiwan. It was pretty good, a little piece of home. :D

Friday I went to school where they told me they rescheduled our speech again and made it on Thursday instead of Monday. Meh. At this point I just wanna get it over with. After school I went with Kenese and some classmates to see a movie. We ended up splitting and going to see two different movies, I saw Devil. It was pretty good! Not horrifying or amazingly done, though. I still enjoyed it. :] Afterwards I thought it was 9:45 so I dashed home to make it in time for 10:30 but it turned out that it had only been 8:45 and I got home an hour early. Not cool.

Yesterday was amazing. I left the house at 10:30 and didn't get back until exactly 10:30 that night. I started the day off with Sammy, we went to Taipei main station to meet up with some exchange students who were going to the beach, then we walked around and toured through a really nice department store. Then headed back to Taipei main station where we got like five pounds of sushi for 4 US dollars. Amazing. Sammy told me about the mall underneath the station so we headed there next to do some shopping. It was sweet, like an underground night market. On our way out we noticed a group of teenagers-young adults were getting ready to perform a little concert so we stayed. They mainly sang English songs and so many of them were oldies! I was telling Sammy that if my Mom'd been there she'd be able to sing along with every one of them. They were good and Sammy and I met some of them afterwards and told them we'd sing with them if they wanted us to. xD Now we're friends on facebook and Sammy is discussing arrangements.

After this amazing event we went to Shilin night market where we met up with more exchange students and some Taiwanese Rotex. I did so much shopping. Of course, I got zhuxuegao and almost died it was so good. I kept on trying to get Sammy to eat it but he wouldn't. First I bought some stockings for school.. I like them better than the to the thigh socks. Then I bought some belly button rings because I like how they look as earrings. Oh, and then amazingness. Earlier at the mall I saw CSI: New York for the cheapest I've seen it in it's actual case and everything going for a little over $20. At the Night Market I bought it for 10 and I am satisfied, don't care if it's so pirated it's not even funny. xD I bought a huge leather purse for $6 and a bunch of other stuff. I am satisfied. Afterwards on the way home my knees were like buckling beneath me and my feet were so sore, but it was a happy sore.

I'll update sooner next time, promise!


4 comments:

  1. Sorry, Sweetie, I think I will pass on the pig blood cake. I'll take your word that it's good. I'm glad you're so adventurous with the food and you are able to really appreciate the whole culture over there, since food is such a large part of a culture. It was so good to see you yesterday on Skype. The movie trailer with English subtitles was MUCH easier to follow!! ha ha... Let me just say, that no child of mine would be allowed to stay locked in his room for five years playing video games!!! Strange premise.
    Love and Kisses,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, can you explain how to pronounce the pig's blood cake word? I can't seem to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabel, can you imagine your little brother Tommy trying pig blood cake!? Just think of what his face would look like while eating it - it made me laugh!
    Can you take some pictures of the balloon animals and the origami that you are doing and post them? Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my brother spent almost that much time locked in his room. It explains a lot.
    Yeah, I get the logic about pork=pig's blood, but I still don't think I can do it.

    ReplyDelete