Thursday, September 16, 2010

明天是我的生日!

Okay, well, the first topic I'm gonna cover is that I never mentioned my Chinese name! I got help from my host family in choosing it when I got here. My surname is Wang (second tone, voice rises) because that's my first host family's surname. Then my given name starts with yi (fourth tone, voice drops) because their children's names start with yi, then mei (third tone, voice falls then rises. Do it right! :P) because of mei guo (america, mei also means beautiful). So, it's 王奕美 or Wang Yi-Mei. Wang means king, yi means elegant and mei means beautiful. I like it. They call me yimei or amei or at school a lot of people call me ishabeir. xD It's cute.

Next topic! Sorry, have to do this.. it's gay boys! I'm in a sea of them here! These exchange students are letting me know left and right that they're gay and I'm like o.o. Many of them are obvious, but some aren't so much.. Makes me think a lot of boys back home at guajome need to come out of the closet already because they're everywhereeee. Not only this, but I'm dreading the day I return to America because of the adorableness that is the boys here in Taiwan. You know how in America, pretty much the only touchy contact teenage boys to men can have with each other is that man hug thing. Don't know what to call it, you know, they grasp each other's hand and pat the other's back. They can't do much else or they're accused of being gay. It's definitely not the same here. I walk into class and boys are hanging over each other, sitting in each other's laps, using another boy's lap or shoulder for a nap. I'm in heaven, you have no idea. I mentioned this to them because I'm in such a happy state of shock and they immediately blush and separate (dammit) and then I tell them I think it's adorable and they just blush even more. xD

I'm nearing the end of reading an online novel and it's one of those lose-track-of-time, pissed-off-when-I'm-not-reading-it quality stories. I put up with it, though. I can't be reading all the time here, I must explore! :D

Yesterday school was fun! A bit boring at times, of course, but fun. Then I bumped into some exchange students on the way home and ended up tagging along for Shilin night market! Met some more French exchange students from a different district (Jesus, there are a ton of French people here.. o.o) and kinda just wandered. Got awkward at times. x] Pretty fun, though.

Then, today, I had Chinese class. Kind of upset with that right now. There's nothing I hate more than relearning stuff I've already learned several times before and not being presented with anything new. Right now we're just reviewing and helping some others 'catch up' by starting from the beginning of the book.. Quite a few of us (including me) have learned more than half of it already. D; Hopefully it will get better. After Chinese class we got together at Ximen and I had a red bean bun. Num num. Then school! Jing Wen Gao Zhong! I had drawing class. :] I drew four apples and shaded them differently, mmm, I do such hard work. Some kids invited me to go to another night market with them and, of course, my response was hells yes. I hate to say it, but I enjoyed this much better than the night before. Maybe it's because they were all sweet as hell and despite the language barriers weren't as awkward as the random exchange students I got plopped with before. It was fun. We got lots of good food and they insisted I eat stinky tofu again. I don't like stinky tofu particularly, and apart from the smell it's definitely not disgusting. They said I'll just get used to it and eventually love it as much as they do. I wouldn't be surprised at this point. x)

Speaking of food, tomorrow's my birthday! Which means food! Hahah, I'm gonna eat whatever I want and not worry about the kilo (woah, went metric) I'll have gained until after. My class is having a party for me (D;) and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be cake and pizza.. Unless the pizza is topped with squid I really don't care for it, but I'll be nice, of course. Then dinner afterwards with host family and other people. Don't know how that's gonna be, yet.. I'll let you know how it goes. :) Toodleooo.

3 comments:

  1. If you want to see men not afraid to be affectionate towards each other, you should do Ren-faire with me. :) So are people in Taiwan not so judgmental about that?
    Love the description of the man hug. Don't forget the man seating arrangement at the movies, either.
    Happy birthday! Is this 16?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Hail King Elegant Beautiful!! I can't wait to hear you say your Chinese name, cuz I sure won't get it right, even with your very helpful description. Stinky Tofu sure sounds delish. Mmmm Mmmmm Good!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Ishabeir! I love reading your blog so keep up the good work. Your mom and us kids (Bobby, Tommy, Laurel & Dad) miss you very much and hope you have a great B-day. When are we going to have a Skype call dearie?
    Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete