Thursday, September 9, 2010

幹!

So, I got up at 5:10 this morning to leave the house at 6 and get to school by just past 7 so that I could give a short 30 second long speech in front of the whole school. (about 2,000 kids) I get there, and they tell me because it rained for one minute they weren't going to have the ceremony this morning. So all that trouble was just a waist of time and I was still late to Chinese class. The best part about this is I still haven't done my speech and it has to be on a day that I have Chinese class, so I'm gonna be late again. Juuuuust spiffy. D; Well, that's life.

I've found that for my schedule about half the classes are just the exchange students and I and the other half are with other classes. Plus, the classes that I have with the exchange students are mainly Chinese language classes. It's been really fun and all the other exchange students are so jealous because they have physics and math. Heeeheh.

Next week I'm gonna bring my camera to school and just take pictures of everything, so you'll be able to see me in the sea of Asians next week. Including my beautiful uniform.

My Chinese teacher is harsh! I'm really happy about that, though, because she corrects us when we get our tones wrong which is really important. Plus, we're the 'best' class so we should try to live up to that. x] It's been fun so far! All of the exchange students are awesome. It's really difficult to blow them off for my actual school mates, which is what you're supposed to do.. But I believe I've reached a happy medium. :] It's not difficult to make friends here, that's for sure. I've pretty much discovered that if I don't have plans for the weekend I could easily walk into any classroom and ask if they wanna take me somewhere and immediately have a bunch of requests. I'm not conceited or anything, but these people get a bit ridiculous. We had a drawing class after lunch today, and the class that we went to was clapping and cheering when we walked in. It was insanity. It's all good natured, though. They're all very sweet. The boys are shy and the girls can get really loud... Like really loud. In that class we were called to the front and were asked several questions by the students. Like if we were boyfriend and girlfriend, who I thought the cutest boy in class was, how old we are, for Heitor to show his muscles.. xD You know, just very mature, well thought out questions.

One of the funny things I found today was that I had my uniform shirt unbuttoned slightly (like not all the way to my neck) with a tank top underneath and about an inch of cleavage would show if I bent over or something. I got sooo many comments on that today. From boys and girls. xD Girls telling me that it's so sexy and some insisting I button it up (which I eventually did D;) and boys telling me others were nervous or shy because of it. I think it's because not only have they not seen many foreigners in the flesh, but they also haven't seen many girls with enough boob to get natural cleavage. (I know this is going to spur a rant from my Mom but I wanted to mention it anyway. x])

One of the things that's gotten really annoying is when I'm on my way home from school and I'm walking through the city to my apartment there's this line of shops where a bunch of tourists gather. They're all from mainland China and they're all just really noisy and rude. I have to like dodge and duck to get through all of them. D; One of the things I don't mind about going home is the MRT! Especially when it stops and an all-boys school and about 50 boys come piling in. How fun! x]

I've gotten really stingy. Today a huge group of exchange students and I (swarm/army of foreigners) went out to lunch at a Japanese place in Ximen. I found myself when ordering thinking that one of the meals for 105 NT was expensive (about 3 US dollars) just because I can get a meal like that from a street stand for about 30 NT (1 US dollar. I realized that I was being ridiculous and ordered it anyway. xD I can't imagine how bad it's gonna be when I get back. Here, everything is cheap for foreigners, but for the general population it's just normal. So, if I carried around 2,000 NT (60 US dollars) this could be seen in value as anywhere between 100-150 dollars. It's just different and I'm not really used to it yet. Stuff is so cheap here I haven't even broken into my allowance from my parents or Rotary despite my buying a bunch of things already. Pretty sweeeet. :D

Tomorrow I'm going out with some exchange students to Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall to chill and Saturday I'm going to Taipei 101! Woot! I'm gonna try to make some plans with my classmates soon, too. :] I need to buy an electronic Chinese-English dictionary so that's a good reason! They can help me choose! :D

Okies, well, this is all I can think of for now. Until next time!

7 comments:

  1. hahaha. Seems like some of the Chinese students are pretty shy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...Questions:
    1) Did you know you can actually post a reply to a comment on your blog? Try it some time!
    2) How far is your Chinese class from your high school? How often and how long is the class?
    3)When you say half the classes are just with exchange students, do you mean the two others at your high school, or all the rotary exchange students at a different location?
    4) Is the MRT the bus or the subway?
    5) What's Taipei 101?
    6) Will you please keep your shirt buttoned young lady?!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT YOU BEING "HOT STUFF" OVER THERE?!? Oh Isabel, I am soooo happy your having such a great time! Yes, my custard filled white powdered donut........you have arrived!

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurel says: I miss you, sorry my note has failed! Bye!

    Dad says: I don't know what your sister is saying, but I know she loves you and misses you like I do!

    And yes there are buttons that go all the way up on your blouses - let's use all of them, OK?

    You are going to love Taipei 101. It's right across the street from the Taipei Hyatt, where I spent a lonely Christmas one year. But shopping (not just an American passion) cheered me right up.

    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Isabel, I asked your mom for this blog address. I'm one of her teachers :)
    I've only read this entry so far, but you brought a huge smile to my face! You're so funny. Your parents must be so proud of you. Have fun and learn lots! Donna Block/Temecula

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. There's no reply button, Ma!
    2. It takes an hour to get to my Chinese class from my house and my school.
    3. The two at my school.
    4. MRT is the subway.
    5. Only the former tallest building in the world and a sign of Taiwan's growing economy.
    6. Never!

    ReplyDelete