Thursday, September 2, 2010

所以。。

Well, I totally forgot to mention the fact that we get nap time at school. As well as school being over at 5:10. x] Two very odd things!

Well, Wednesday was boring. We had like three English classes once again. I feel so awkward when the English teacher who doesn't know English natively says something incorrectly or gets their grammar wrong. I want to correct them so they can learn from that along with the students but I don't want to embarrass them in front of their class. I swear, one of my teachers had us do a spelling test where the words were something like: billiards, earnings, punch, branch.. Just weird words. When she said billiards and earnings I had no idea what she was saying! I had to guess from what we had gone over from the day before. D; Then we had business. Ew. I really don't like this teacher. She's like five feet tall and built like a rectangle and is just rather unpleasant looking. She wears these ridiculously unflattering feminine clothes and mulitcoloured leather shoes. She comes into the class and we all stand up to bow and say "laoshi hao" and she's all "zaici" so we do it again and she's all "zaici" and I'm all wtf and she's all "zaici". She just couldn't be satisfied with our already immense respect. It just wasn't good enough. I swear, if I wanted to show 'em how this would play out in America I'd sit my ass down and glare at her for even suggesting that I get up and bow in acknowledgement of her supposedly glorious presence. Maybe even spit at her. Hahah, after business it was time for PE. We went to the gym, did some intense stretches, a couple jumping jacks and then we played.. ping pong. You can't say you're not jealous. :D I just love how they consider it enough of a physical sport that it requires stretching beforehand. x]

Today I had my first Chinese class here. We started learning bopomofo which is what they use in Taiwan to write the pronunciation of characters where as what I learned, pinyin, is what they use in China. It's difficult because it's an entirely different alphabet but I'll get it down. jiayou! After class some other exchange students and I got McDonald's. I was so disappointed, it tasted just like how it does back home! D; Meh, I'll just go with Mos Burger. Hmf. After this I head back to school where my first class was typing. Obviously I couldn't quite do it so I just surfed the web, ohh, the life on an exchange student. x]

People in my class/school/whatever:
Don't brush their teeth! In one of my fellow YEP's words, some of them look like they chew on bricks for fun.
Are very shy with the opposite sex. It's quite unheard of for a girl and a boy to be friends so they all think either Heitor or Kenese (other exchange students at my school) is my boyfriend.
Don't quite know how to be secretive. I swear, when they see us they just openly stare or whisper about us to each other. I dunno, we'll get used to it. I hope.
Oh! There's this boy in my class who is absolutely gorgeous. I'm not attracted to him because he's too young right now and he seems to be aware of and shows off his beauty. But I'm serious. His features are very striking and perfect. He's like a piece of artwork! I'll give him a couple years and then I'll come back to Taiwan to kidnap him. :D

Math class! I read Lord of the Rings the whole time. xD Then they had science but I was pulled out to look over the clubs to join at my school. A lady that works their was going through the list and translating it for us and when she said "balloon shaping" I was like, holy poo I wanna do that. Balloon animals club? How awesome is that. xD We didn't want to disturb our classes because they were in the middle of a lesson so we went and talked with one of the teachers that wasn't busy. She's so nice! She told us when the bell rang that Doremi (school teacher administrator guy) said us exchange students could leave school at 4:10, so we did. I went straight home (except for stopping at 7/11 and picking up a random drink and food item, so fun!) and when I got there my host mom told me how my homeroom teacher called to tell her I wasn't in my last class. Madness! I really think that lady doesn't like me. She's all nice and :D but just some things about the way she acts put me off.. I dunno. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I think I bug her. Maybe it's because I speak better English than she does and my teeth are prettier. (ooh, I'm mean x]) But, whatever, tomorrow I'll deal with that and tell her how a teacher (teacher!) said we could leave and I wasn't ditching. Gah, this is madness. I'm not even gonna be in her class all day for the rest of the year.

Tomorrow I'm leaving school early to go to a rotary meeting where I will introduce myself to a bunch of old Asian dudes who hardly speak any English. I'm going to try to do as much as I can in Mandarin, of course. Oh, and today I found out for sure that I have to give a speech in front of my school (3 freaking thousand kids :O) and I have to do my best to do it all in Mandarin. Writing it in Mandarin isn't the hard part it's the saying it in front of 3 freaking thousand students. D; dah. At least I have a week to prepare. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Well, Isabel, "billiards" is a very important English word, after all....almost as important as "punch." I can't believe you read during math class....that's the one class you really have some hope of picking up at this early stage. Put the book down and do math!!! (What type of math is it, anyway?) I am dying to find out if you "nap" on cots or just put your head down on your desk. You'll do great on the speech. If it comforts you, just remember how little you can understand of your English teacher...they may not really understand what you're saying, so you don't have to worry so much, right?
    Love and kisses,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balloon animals club? AWESOMMEEEEE!!!! haha spit at her. good luck with that rectangle woman

    ReplyDelete