Tuesday, August 31, 2010

上學。

Today was my first day of school! I got up at six, showered, dawned my gorgeous uniform, and ate breakfast before starting my hour long journey to school. Luckily it wasn't raining this morning (it probably will tomorrow D;) when I walked to the MRT station.

EVERYBODY STARED AT ME. It gets pretty bad in everyday life here, the staring I mean, but today it was intense. Everybody was like O.O, especially when I met up with Kenese (other American exchange student) everybody crowded around us and peered into the classroom to watch us talk. I feel especially bad for Kenese because of his awesome poofy afro hair. Everybody asked to touch it. xD Hopefully the staring and my Mandarin will get better!

The day started with English class. The teacher was from Britain and was very awkward and a not very good teacher. He asked me to say some things for the class and that's about it. Then came math (oh, and you know in Asia you don't go to teachers, teachers come to you ;D). Math was odd. The teacher, who looked about 25, came into the classroom and did a double take when he saw me sitting in the front. Laugher ensued. I guess nobody knew about the exchange students. xD He was very nice, though. During the lesson I could recognize half of it and the other half I was like wtf. I'm sure I would've gotten it better if it was in English. xD After the note-taking he came over and sat next to me and laughed at how I wrote down all the math and numbers but didn't even attempt really at the characters.

After this we had another English class. I got put in the English major class, so they take 15 hours of English a week. I would have been upset except that besides the British guy, hardly any English is spoken in the other English classes. It's just like back home where not much Spanish is spoken in Spanish class. x] Also, it is helpful for my vocab when they go through it because it's English for them and Chinese for me. After this class, we had Business, which I didn't even know until the end of class when I asked somebody. xD This woman spoke so fast and was quite intimidating. >.<>

Tomorrow the Brazilian boy is joining Kenese and I at school! Hopefully the staring won't be so bad for him. I swear, all day it was "Ooh! Your eyes! Your hair! Is it natural? Do you have boyfriend?" Hahah, excited for tomorrow? x]

Oh! Time for my to show off a bit, I got third place in the Mandarin placement test and I'm in the best class! Woot! :D I'm happy that I wasn't just put in a beginner's class and have to learn everything over again.

Okay, sorry, I just have to add this in. 7/11s here are awesome! They're on just about every corner, have atms, a little restaurant/eating area, and the most awesome asian foodies. I'm gonna miss them so much when I come home, that and the bamboo shoot. So nummy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Honey! Sounds like your first day went well. I am so proud of 3rd place for your Mandarin!! Where (and when) are you taking Mandarin? Did you only have English, math and business class today? What's bamboo shoot? Love and miss you mucho,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete