Tuesday, October 12, 2010

什麼?!

Check this outttttttttttt! To the left is a picture of a bunch of exchange students during the parade on double ten which was Taiwan's independence day. We were told to be as crazy patriotic as possible. I'm on the far right, can you see me? :D This picture made it on the front page of a bunch of newspapers! So cool! We realized during that this is pretty much the only country where something like this would happen for exchange students, and I'm not complaining. x] To decorate myself I had an Irish flag on my forehead, USA on my cheek, CA and two Australian flags on my chest.. Don't ask why. I was made an honorary Australian by the Aussies. Oh, I also tied an American flag around my neck like a cape. Pretty cool, I know. We walked for five miles, screaming and waving at people that lined up. Even after all of this, we went out after and partied hard. (Not really, but we did go out afterwards x)

Here's a video an exchange student posted of the parade! I'm hardly in it, (I know, sad) but you get to experience what we experienced!


That was Sunday, but on Saturday us exchange students went to Danshui for biking then we had an Ocarina class. I can now play God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen on the ocarina.. Go me. Skip back over to Monday, Chinese class, then I went to my school to watch the English Singing competition! They were all so cute! My class didn't do so well (neither group placed) they were too nervous and shy! I felt so bad because I knew how angry my teacher would be with them afterwards.. When I went home my host family informed me that we were having a meeting with some Rotary members to go over some issues that came up recently, so we ate dinner then left to meet up at a coffee place. (the meetings are normal, so don't freak out on me, Mom) They discussed my only being home once for dinner last week and how I talked more with my host family when I first got here, and that most exchange students are home more. I then explained to them that most exchange students have more than just their host parents at home. I'm like an only child here, it is so boring in this house. They never take me anywhere either, so why would I wanna go home and just laze around when I could be out exploring Taipei? They didn't really care and said I should try to be home four nights a week. I'll try, but it will be difficult. Oh, and guess what came up in the discussion? Yup, the floss issue. My host mom knows how to hold a grudge.

Today was good. School was fun as always, but I didn't want to hui jia. Came home.. had dinner.. Now I'm doing this. Yeah, it's boring. I think tomorrow I'll have dinner with them then go to Starbucks to study for Chinese class. Something. Maybe go walking. Oh, the possibilities are endless. Until xia yi ci.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were on the front page of the newspaper!! So cool!!! I hope you bought a paper to save for posterity. I must admit, I agree that you should be home more. You can learn a lot from your host parents, particularly Chinese which you went there to learn. I love you and miss you and want you to stay safe!!! XOXO
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superstar! Very cool. Is it weird that families without kids would volunteer to be host parents? It seems weird to me.
    And I was just about to agree with you about it being boring, but then I read Kathleen's post and I agree with her. My dad spent some time in a German inclusion program and spoke English the whole time so it accomplished nothing.
    Do what you set out to do. Really, studying your host parents is like an in depth study of a microcosm within the culture. Look on it as a sociological/anthropological experiment. Pretend that its an actual academic class (you know, the one's you don't take). You can suck it up 4 nights a week. :)

    ReplyDelete