Thursday, August 26, 2010

Awh,好可愛。

Heyyylo. I once again waited three days to post a blog, but I don't think this one will be quite as long.. Or maybe it will be. Who knows. o.O

So, where did I leave off? Uhhh.. Oh, yeah! The day before Juliette left. We all got up in the morning and my host mother told me to put on some long pants because we were going to temple up in the mountains and there are lots of mosquitoes there. (that's an understatement) We brought some fruit with us and my host mother added the American tootsie rolls that I brought to the bunch to offer to the Gods. When we arrived they first introduced me to si jie, who can be compared to a priest and or fortune teller. We then took our offerings and placed them on the table before the shrines, then lit some incense before doing a lot of bowing and praying. They didn't make me take part because they thought I might be offended with my family being Catholic and all, but of course I don't mind. After the bowing and the praying we sat down for fruit and tea (this is like half of my diet now x]) with si jie. She spoke no English, but my host sister translated some of what she said for me. She could tell I was well taught (but who can't tell, really?) and she had nothing bad to say about my future so I am pleased with that.

After temple my host parents dropped me and Juliette off at a bookstore in Taipei so we could find a French-Chinese dictionary for Juliette. There I ran into another exchange student (easy to spot because he was the only other white person in the store) and we discussed all of the madness that has occurred these last few days. I looked around at the Chinese learning books because I didn't bring any textbooks with me. I know, once again I'm a genius, but something told me being in Taiwan would be the only textbook I'd need. While this is basically true, a textbook always helps. :'D Juliette didn't think any of them were good enough so I trusted her judgment and didn't get any right then. We returned home and then rested a bit before going out and picking Jessica up at the MRT station before once again returning home. I pulled out my Dirty Chinese book for them to look over and tell me what applied to Taiwan because of it being Mainland China Chinese. They were shocked and amused by the book and were very helpful. xD

Jessica left but returned the following morning (the day Juliette would be leaving) and brought Mos Burger! A fast food chain that I've never seen in the US.. I'm pretty sure it's just Asian. Lemme check.. Yup, just in Asia. Jealous, much? Well, I haven't eaten fast food in like a year, but I had to try the breakfast burger thing she got for me. It had a bun, ham, egg, lettuce, mayo, and peanut butter. Maybe it's just me, but peanut butter is somewhat of an odd choice to add to this combo. It was surprisingly good, though. ^^ Then their friend Ariel arrived and we hung out for a few hours before we visited Juliette's Grandma and brought Juliette to the airport. D; It was sad, she helped me a lot and brought me around Taipei while she was here and I got really worried I'd be lonely without her. While I wish she was still here because she's just awesome, I'm not lonely! So that's good! :D However, when she left I got sad, and it didn't help that wo duzi teng, but we then went over to my third host family's house for a little get together. I met three other exchange students, one from France, one from Belgium and one from Mexico (probably the only Mexican in Taiwan, but yayyy!). We ate food and sang karaoke. x]

Today!! The exchange students I met, as well as my third host sister, some of her friends, and another family went to an amusement park in Taipei county. Yeah, you guessed it, it was kind of a rip off of Disneyland. A lot more roller coasters, though. Going to the park today really cheered me up because it made me feel less alone here. I'm still in the stage where when I zone out and suddenly come too I freak out when I find that I'm not in America. I just sort of miss the normalcy of being in my house and eating cereal and crap. x] While there were many language barriers between the exchange students and the uhhh, what's a good word to call the people from Taiwan? Natives? Citizens? Not foreigners? Ugh, I can't find a word for it right now. My brain is dead. I'm doing this late because I'm going to a three day long inbound orientation tomorrow and I cannot blog! :o Despite the language barriers (the inbounds spoke very good English, though.) it was a lot of fun! Another fun thing, not to sound creepy, but the family we went with had three kids, two girls and a boy. The boy was about 11 and the girls both looked about 14 maybe, but they were all so adorable. o.o One of the girls was dressed like a boy (A LOT of girls do that here in Taiwan.. According to Juliette it's really just to be cool but some of them are lesbians.) but this girl was so adorable. When she smiled her eyes went all ^^ and I was like AWWWH. >D Oh! Oh! When we were in line for a roller coaster I saw a gay couple! At first I just saw two boys that were hugging and hanging all over each other and thought, well, I'm not in America so this may be normal here. I asked my third host sister and she said it wasn't and that they might be gay. Knowing me, I conclude that they are gay. Don't argue me on that. xD

Hm! Well, it's late, and I have to make an all about Isabel poster for the orientation for my orientation tomorrow in the morning so I should probably go to bed. I'm excited to meet the boys I'm going to school with. :D Yayy, more friends. Okies, until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Honey! It sounds like you are having a marvelous time and are learning a whole lot!!! Are you practicing your Chinese? I'm glad you're meeting people and not being so lonely. I hope your tummy is feeling better. We miss you big time around here. Bobby and Tommy just showed me some funny Youtube nonsense, which you may have seen...Double Rainbow and Bed Intruder. Watch them and laugh! xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isabel!
    This is Tommy, remember me? (Just kiddin)
    Wow, thats really cool! I told all of my friends at school about you going to a temple and praising a god, they were pretty jelous (Not really) But thats really cool! And you're lucky you don't have school, i would rather go to an amusement park then go to school. Oh, and of course you thought they were gay, thats just the way you are.
    Love you, missing you,
    Tommy
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete